Several utility companies serving Pierce County residents have reported power outages. Residents are encouraged to follow these safety tips:
Preventing carbon monoxide poisoning:
- DO NOT operate gasoline powered machinery such as a generator indoors, including in a garage.
- DO NOT place generators near an open window or near a neighbor’s window.
- DO NOT warm up your vehicle by idling the engine inside an attached garage.
- DO NOT cook or heat with charcoal barbeques inside your home or garage.
- DO NOT use “space heaters” unless there is an exhaust vent and never around combustible materials.
- DO NOT use a gas oven to heat your home.
- DO NOT burn anything in a stove or fireplace that is not vented.
- DO follow the manufacturer’s instructions for using generators, space heaters and grills.
- DO make sure flues and vents are kept clear of debris that may be blown by the wind.
- DO have your furnace, fireplace or wood stove inspected by a professional every year.
- DO install carbon monoxide alarms in your home.
- Wear several layers of light weight, warm clothing rather than one layer of heavy clothing.
- Watch for signs of frostbite and hypothermia: slurred speech, confusion, uncontrollable shivering, stumbling, drowsiness, and body temperature of 95° F or less. Get medical help immediately if you think someone has frostbite or hypothermia.
- Get out of wet clothes immediately and warm up with a blanket or warm fluids like hot herbal tea or soup. Avoid caffeinated or alcoholic beverages if you think you or someone you are trying to help has hypothermia or frostbite.
For the most up to date emergency information visit: https://blog.co.pierce.wa.us/emergency/