Emergency Management

How to apply for disaster assistance
Posted By Sheri Badger on Mar 5th, 2001 at 11:56 AM

(For Pierce County homeowners, renters and private businesses) Any homeowner, renter or business owner who has suffered damage from the Feb. 28 earthquake is asked to do the following: 1. If you need immediate assistance with shelter, food, etc. contact the American Red Cross Tacoma Pierce County Chapter at 253-474-0400 or state-wide at 1-800-660-4124. 2. Contact your private insurance company to file a claim. 3. Contact the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to apply for disaster assistance.

1-800-462-9029 1-800-562-7585 (TTY) for the hearing and speech impaired

Here is a sample of what may be available from FEMA: Disaster Housing Assistance Program: FEMA may provide assistance for any individual or family whose residence has been made uninhabitable as a result of the disaster. Assistance may be in the form of funds to obtain alternate rental housing, or to make essential repairs to make the residence habitable. Individual and Family Grant Program: Grants may be available to eligible disaster victims to meet serious disaster-related needs or necessary expenses not covered by other disaster assistance programs. Home/Personal Property Loans: Low interest, long term disaster loans through the Small Business Administration (SBA) are available to homeowners and renters for restoring or replacing disaster-damaged real and personal property. Business Disaster Loans: Low interest, long term disaster loans through the SBA are avaiable to businesses to repair or replace destroyed or damaged business facilities, inventory, machines, or equipment. Economic Injury Loans: These are working capital loans designed to assist businesses suffering adverse financial impacts of this disaster, with or without property loss.